McKinley STEAM Academy students may participate in a variety of extracurricular activities. Interscholastic sports are available only to seventh and eighth grade students, and other extracurricular activities are open to all grades.
If you have any questions, contact the activities director. If you are interested in sponsoring an extracurricular activity, stop by the main office.
Activities that require an audition
- Fall school musical
- Chamber orchestra
- Classic Edition (show choir)
- Jazz band
- Variety Show and STEAM EXPO (fundraiser for fine arts department and STEAM)
Activities that do not require an audition
- Jazz Masters (Eastern Iowa Arts Academy)
- SPARK (Eastern Iowa Arts Academy)
- Arts Exploration (Eastern Iowa Arts Academy)
- Black Student Union
Extracurricular eligibility policy
The transition to the learner centered assessment and reporting model allows a more complete picture of a student’s learning. Additionally, it provides a method by which a student can reflect on their progress towards developing skills essential for a successful career in the working world. The coaches and directors at McKinley find that fostering these skills through our athletic and fine arts programs, as well as our after school activities, is critical for the long-term success of our students as they make the transition to high school and adulthood. As a result, McKinley’s extracurricular eligibility policy will reflect our desire to have students perform at high levels both academically and behaviorally.
Eligibility: For a student to be considered eligible for athletic contests, extracurricular fine arts performances, clubs, and activities, the student must meet the following requirements:
- Passing grade (D,P,E) in all classes. Coaches will notify parents if their student athlete is ineligible and will provide support.
- Detention(s) must be served prior to participation in all extracurricular activities. Coaches and parents will be notified by teachers of student detentions.
- Students are not eligible to participate in any extracurricular activity during a period of suspension.
Eligibility deadline: Student eligibility will be examined every Thursday. Students who do not meet these expectations will be ineligible for the following week’s competitions, performances, etc. If the student demonstrates they meet the requirements before a competition, it is the responsibility of the teacher to notify the coach of the student’s eligibility.